For a lot of Kiwis the 5th of November means Guy Fawkes Day. While it can be an exciting event and provide great entertainment for the whole family, it’s important to take care and follow safety rules wherever you’re.

Here are a few tips to keep in mind to help prevent unnecessary fire and harm this Guy Fawkes:

  • Only light up fireworks outdoor in a clear area; keep away from buildings and vehicles.
  • Direct fireworks at the sky, away from your house or your neighbours’ houses.
  • If a firework doesn’t ignite, give it 15 minutes and then drench it with water. Never relight a firework that didn’t go off.
  • Have a connected water hose ready and a bucket of water nearby to soak all used fireworks and sparklers.
  • Make sure you have a working fire extinguisher and know where it is and how to use it in case of an emergency.
  • Dispose of used fireworks by placing in a metal bucket filled with water or sand, away from any buildings or flammable materials until the next day.
  • Keep fireworks clear of dry or tall grass in the vicinity as it can catch and spread fire quickly.
  • Respect your neighbours. Do not use fireworks too late.
  • If you notice anyone using fireworks in a way that could cause damage to property or people, call 111
  • Don’t forget about the safety for your or your neighbours’ pets as it can be a very distressing time for them.

For more information on fireworks safety, download a copy of the New Zealand Fire Service brochure and check their fast fire facts video.

Remember, the best way to stay safe around fireworks is to attend one of the council-approved events in your area. If you do decide to organise your own display, it is a good idea to check your insurance is in place and up to date. It could help you protect your property against accidental damage this Guy Fawkes Day. For a range of house and contents insurance options, visit tower.co.nz

Posted by tower