Maintaining your car takes a little time and effort but the payoff is that your car runs more efficiently, you’re safer on the roads and your car’s engine lasts longer.
There are many things you need to do to keep your car in top shape, some can be done by you at home and others you need the help of mechanical professionals. Regular servicing, mechanical checkups and ongoing home maintenance will ensure the longevity of your car’s engine.
One of the most important things you can do to keep your car in great condition is change the engine oil on a regular basis. When you get your car serviced the engine oil and filter will be changed, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t get it done or do it yourself in between services.
Changing the oil in your car regularly is a sure fire way to keep your car running and it is relatively inexpensive to do.
Regular oil changes increase the life and performance of the car, giving you a long term cost and convenience benefit.
The cost of not doing this is far greater than the time and money it takes to keep on top of it. For example if you don’t change the oil regularly you might experience some of the following problems with your car:
- Lack of lubrication in the engine leading to ceasing, jamming, fusing or in the worst case exploding
- You engine could simply cease working if any of the above occur
- Wear and tear on the engine due to lack of lubrication, this can lead to clogging and shorter lifespan.
Changing the oil in your car is not difficult with a quick trip to see a professional. If you know what you are doing then you can also change your oil at home. An oil change costs approximately $50 and should be done on the recommendation of a mechanic or the car manufacturer within a certain time or mileage period.
Other ways you can maintain your car include:
- Regular servicing, around every 15,000km or twice a year
- Get any problems fixed as soon as you can
- Make sure your tyres are properly inflated and have enough tread
- Keep your car clean both inside and out
- Change the oil and water regularly.